**Prior to Event/8:30-9:00am: Volunteer Drivers MAY meet at school (ask your Trip Rep for meeting times/locations) unless you have made arrangements to do a pickup at someones home. If not, then yes, parents do a pickup at the school.
9:30-11:00am | SKATING: Meet at George Bell Arena 9-9:30am. This is an ALL Family Event: Adults and Children both young and old are welcome: Remember to always sign in/out with teachers. Note: Teachers will not be at the Arena for 9:00am - they have to be at school for the entry bell, to ensure that there are no students waiting to get rides. They'll get to arena ASAP. Pack-up at 11am so we can get back for lunch at 11:35
11:35-12:30/5 | LUNCH: You are welcome to go out for lunch or return your child to school to eat (you may walk them directly to the Lunch Room/take to Kindie room). If you are taking your child(ren) out for Lunch then please notify your teacher asap. Note: Marlene is also on lunch between 11:30 - 12:30, so there will be nobody in the office for sign in. If parents drop children off at school during lunch, then there are staff on duty in both the lunchroom and on the field - there's no need to sign in or take attendance, as that will be taken once the bell rings and students are back into the care of the teachers. *You just may need to buzz Annette to get in
12:30/12:35pm | AFTERNOON ATTENDANCE:Back To School/Classes
Snack Info In order to avoid everyone getting snacks at the same time and to ensure that the snack runs smoothly, we will utilize a snack schedule. The schedule is divided by classrooms.
9:40-10:10 – Daniel & Betty 10:10-10:30 – Dylan & Lillian 10:30-10:50 – Anastasia & Eva 10:50-11:10 – Arthur & Martin
A floor plan of the facility has been emailed by your Trip Rep.. We have assigned change rooms to classrooms. Parents please use the change room your child is in. (*Note: This still may be subject to change)
Daniel (K) – CH1 Betty (K) – CH2 Lillan (1/2) – split group CH2 & CH3 Dylan (1/2) – CH3 Anastasia (3) – CH4 Eva (4/5) – CH5 Arthur (6/7) – split group CH5 & CH6 Martin (7/8) – CH6
Venue Information: George Bell Arena is located at 215 Ryding Ave (south of St. Clair between Runnymede and Keele). HPAS will have exclusive access to this indoor arena for our Annual Big Chill Skating Party.
The skating party permission forms should be returned soon as possible so that we can arrange rides. Your trip rep will work with the teacher to make arrangements for transportation for your class.
Things to consider:
-Will your child be attending? -Will you be attending? -Will you be driving your child to the rink? From the school? Or going directly to and from the rink? -Can you take other children from the school? If so, how many? (Have you completed the volunteer driver forms (office) to make you a TDSB approved driver?) -Do you have car seats for those additional kids? (if applicable) -If you do not plan on having your child attend, please remember you will need to notify Marlene in the office of your child's absence that day.
Also- if you choose to go directly to the rink, please try to arrive at normal time (9:00-9:15 a.m.) You need to ensure that your child checks in with their teacher upon arrival. This is for safety/safe arrival concerns.
Attention High Park parents: We still need some volunteers for the following positions. Please click on the link to sign sheet/link below ASAP- We NEED You! - snack table - helping with skates and helmets - the highly desirable cleanup and setting-up - mascot
Please remember ALL children must wear CSA approved helmets to be allowed on the ice.
- Make sure to label your child's helmet and skates if possible. -How should the hockey helmet fit? Guidelines taken from the west Toronto skating club - A hockey helmet should fit snug to prevent any shifting and maximize protection. Make sure the chinstrap can be adjusted so it gently makes contact under the chin when fastened.
For an adjustable helmet, open it to the largest setting and gradually begin to downsize the helmet until a comfortably snug fit is achieved. The helmet should rest on the head so that the rim is one finger width above the eyebrow and making contact with the top of your head.
Although most helmets are lined with protective foam, some helmets will feel better than others. Try on different brands of helmets for fit and comfort. All CSA certified helmets have a sticker indicating their certification.
We also have a skate exchange program at the school that has already been taking place outside Marlene's office. Still need skates - consider reaching out to the community on our Facebook Page (or email your class rep/trip rep)
Snacks will be provided at the event. The planned snacks are bananas and nut-free cookies (we will have vegan/nut-free as well). For beverages, nut-free hot chocolate, coffee (for adults) and water. Parents are permitted to bring in own snacks (provided it is nut-free). The reason for planned snacks is to minimize garbage so if you are planning to bring in your own snack, please be conscience of your garbage.
If you are donating cookies for the skating party, please follow the signs for the drop off area (at the snack table). (See graphic below for Rooms where each class will meet)
CHECKLIST: -Add Skating Party , 'the Big Chill' Friday February 8, 2019 to your calendar -Figure out how you will be getting there -Let your trip rep know if your child will need a ride or if you can drive other children to the arena. -Sign permission form and return to school -Please inform Marlene in the office if you are NOT coming or are NOT coming back for the dance party in the afternoon -Pack Helmet or tell your trip rep that you need one:) -Pack Skates -Pack water bottle -Pack travel mug for coffee ------------------------------------
So lots of questions going around HPAS about the Big Chill! We are all getting very excited! Here are some frequently asked questions about the Big Chill:
1. Do I have to book work off? Yes please! This is a whole family, school wide, all in, everyone invited hang out the morning with kids, parents and teachers!
2. What is the BIG CHILL? A family skating party at George Bell Arena in the morning (9-11:00 am)
3. When is the big chill? Friday FEBRUARY 8th!
4. Will Chilly the Polar bear be there? You'll have to find out for yourself;)
5. Do I have to tell my child's teacher when I come and go at the skating party ? Yes please! We are taking attendance! Super important to check in and sign out with teachers about comings and goings at all times! Please let Marlene know if you will not be in attendance.
6. How will my child(ren) and I get to the Arena? Your trip rep will help plan this event with your child's teacher just like any other field trip.
7. Does my child need a helmet? Yes!! One that is CSA approved. They won't be allowed on the ice without one. Email your trip rep if your child needs a helmet please ASAP.
8. Do we bring snacks to share at the skating party? You may bring in snack, but snacks will be available at both the skating party and dance party.